Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sew I have been itching to try my hand at upcycling. Cousin's Holly & Alisha talk about it often and then I went to the Maker Fair in Austin recently and it was all the rave. Go Green! Sew my WSM (wicked stepmother) recently gave me some boxes to go thru for potential upcycles. This was one of her sweaters. When I saw the sweater a little girls dress immediately came to mind. I didn't want to work on any of the projects I had today so I thought well lets see what we can do with that sweater. I appliqued the flowers on the knit top, which was tricky for me. I had practiced with my Mom a couple of weekends ago when I was in Dallas and found it very frustrating, this time I used a fusible web to help hold it in place which helped a lot but I'm still not completely satisified with the finished look. Practice makes perfect sew I shall try some applique's in the future. This project took me less than 2 hours. Yeah for upcycling! Starting with prefinished garments takes less time and is less expensive. I'm pleased with the outcome for the small investment of time.

2 comments:

alisha said...

Okay- I REALLY love this dress! The applique looks great to me! And I really, really like the way you left the bottom of the sweater. It just adds a different touch to it that makes it stand out even more that other t-shirt dresses. Very, Very Cute! I will have to try this out myself... one of these years!

~holly said...

ok that's super cute. good job